Monday, June 11, 2007

Let's talk about saving

Saving is like flossing: everyone knows we should do it, but almost nobody does it. And just like almost no one will talk about flossing in a casual conversation, we seldom talk about saving among friends too.



Just like the rest of the people around me, I know the importance of saving. Being an emergy fund, saving for my retirement, or just for the fun of it. But I was quite shocked when I check my bank balance and found that I almost save nothing for the past couple of years. And an even more shocking fact is that I don't know where did all those money gone!



I remember I used to save together with a friend. Every month we will find a Saturday and go to the bank together. We make sure each other deposit the agreed amount of money to our (separate) bank accounts, before going for a cup of coffee, and visualize what we can do with the money. However, as this friend of mine left town on business trip, the habit just stop (well, at least for me).



Of course, finding that there isn't much money left in my bank account is an inconvenient truth, but I'm glad that I found it out early. Before I face an emergency where I need some money, I will start saving again.



For a start, maybe a 10 percent of what I get every month, yeah.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: