Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sometimes, we don't really have to buy

Our church inherited two guitars, one electric and another one a bass guitar. As a startup, our church has limited fund and not many members, so it is fine for us if it is not the best and the nicest looking guitars. However, after a few months, we started to have problems with the electric guitar. First it was some noises, then the connection of the jack became loose causing it to be mute every now and then. The same goes with the bass, firsrt it is OK, then one day it just refused to work.



Enough is enough. One day we were having a bad day and the guitar just giving us a lot of problems (we had left the bass aside for good since it refuses to work). So we were seriously discussing to replace those guitars with new ones. We have been saving some funds to buy a set of drums, but since the guitar is causing more trouble, we were considering of replacing them first.



However, it is such a waste to me that we buy new one just because the two having some problems. I decided to give it a shot by finding someone to repair them.



First I brought them to a shop selling musical instrument. I told them my problems (guitar not working, our church has limited fund, bla bla...). After hearing my stories and did some checking on the guitars, the shop owner recommended me to bring it to a freelancer. According to him, it is much cheaper than to get it fixed in his shop.



Seeing there is hope for the two, I called up the freelancer and schedule a time to pass the guitars to him. I repeated my story to him. I told him to do whatever necessary to make them good. I told him my budget, and asked him to give me a call if the cost to fix them is higher than that.



A couple weeks later, we met again and both the guitars were good as new. The cost is much lesser than buying a new one, leaving us more fund to replace the drum set. I am glad that we did the right thing by fixing rather than throwing the guitars away. We are not only saving cost but also helping the world by not creating two more pieces of junk.





Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

getstuffcheap said...

Sometimes the things that are cheap are the ones more valuable if you know what I mean. Thanks for this cool blog!