Saturday, June 16, 2007

No need to buy in bulk... at least in the hypermarket

I believe in the saying of,"cheaper by the dozen". Most of the time, buying in bulk will be cheaper. That's true because most of the time, the seller is willing to sell at a lower price, as long as there is more money to make in that transaction.



I think the same rule applies to hypermarket as well. Or so I thought.



I drink quite a lot of soft drinks lately. Blame it on the weather, busy lifestyle, and whatever. When I went to the hypermarket shopping for some groceries, I noticed they have different pricing for bulk packs soft drinks too. I figure that since there are different pricing for bulk pack and individual cans, the former one should be cheaper per item. I was about to take the 24 cans of soft drink when my friend suggested we should calculate the actual price per can for the bulk pack. It turn out that for 24 cans of soft drink, I will save 24 cents.



24 cents for 24 cans of soft drinks, that saves me 1 cent per can. And for this 24 cents, I lose the option of buying different flavour and have to carry more weight. Having this new finding, I check on the pricing for another brand of soft drink which has 6 packs packaging. The result? The price is the same as you buying 6 individual can. The only reason to buy the 6 packs is that it is easier to carry with the cardboard than with 6 individual cans.



Then I go on to check with cup noodles. There are those selling 6 in a pack, and the price is the same with you buying 6 different flavours of individual cup. Of course, it is easier to carry 6 cups in a nicely packed plastic bag, but you don't get to eat different flavour.So, I figure that the pros and the cons are almost equal as far as the hyper market is concerned, therefore there is no price difference for the two.



Anyway, the lesson for the day: before you decide to buy anything in bulk, spend some time to do some calculation to make sure that it is really worth it.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: